Digital Syndicate

fall2010 - ART 5953/6033: Digital Tools

Monday, September 6, 2010

first assignment - general comments

Everyone's got their online journals up and running with introductions about themselves and their ideas about this class this semester.  Good job!  Almost everyone has been successful at getting them linked to this page-- almost there!

I have some general critique for the blogs.  First, I think there is a kind of perception that blogs are a place for casual writing.  I want to encourage most everyone to tighten up their writing style.  Use paragraphs, correct capitalization, and clear structure.  Please do not post the first draft of your writing-- construct and save your post but go back later to proofread and improve.

Please read assignments carefully.  Responses should thoughtfully and specifically address the assignment.

As for the responses, the positive and encouraging tone of everyone's comments is great!  However, I see a tendency sometimes of simply cheerleading or reiterating what the writer has said.  On the flip-side, there have been many good responses made already-- and I consider a "good" response to be one that points the writer towards a useful resource, gives them perspective that they may not have had already, proposes an appropriate direction to explore, or other specifically constructive suggestions.

the next reading is Digital Art Chapter 1, "Digital Technologies as a Tool" (p.26-65)
watch this space--  the assignment is coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment