Digital Syndicate

fall2010 - ART 5953/6033: Digital Tools

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Jennings' website

Each student should add the link to their work as a new post.

This way, all of the critique comments for each person will be consolidated as a single thread of responses to each posting.



I'm copying Jennings' link here (which she originally had as a response to my original announcement for online crit).



Please reply to this post to critique her work.



Hope this is clear!





H. Jennings Sheffield said...

Hey, Hey, Hey, Classmates, here is a link to my new and (what I think is) improved website.

http://www.jenningssheffield.com

Let me know your likes, dislikes, advice, comments, thoughts, and rants.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ivan, I can walk you through how I did positioning of images as well as adding titles and the dimensions info after Scott's class next week. Which pages direct you to a blank page? Nothing should be blank. Let me know, thanks. Greta job on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall, the site communicates clearly about who you are and what you are doing professionally. Looks like you've gone deeper into weebly with the drop down menus, contact form, resume page--is that a pdf?, and embedding the videos. Good job!

    Why did you choose that particular header image? How does it relate to the contents of the site/your work? Also, why did you choose that particular image of yourself for the "about" page? I ask because the aspect of your persona that comes through to me is somewhat shy and guarded. Related to these two points, who - specifically - is the site geared towards?

    Now for a few minor picky details-- I suggest consistency regarding the notation of dates, titles, media, etc. In the drop-down menus sometimes we see dates, sometimes size, sometimes title, etc.... How about adding total running time for videos? How about a credit for the music on the "how to" video?

    And if you wanted to kick it up a notch, you could add things like short project descriptions to photography & video works; links to venues or exhibition sites from the "exhibitions" page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ivan: great to have a "proof-reader!" This brings up the important point of running through and double checking that the sites you are building look & function like you think they should.

    It seems like things are getting much more even out there (especially with these template websites), but in the "olden days" it was really important to design for the "lowest common denominator." This could mean the person who was still on a 56k dial-up modem with a 600x800 resolution screen!! Nowadays, I think it's useful to look at sites on PC & Mac, and in different browsers (Safari, Firefox, Explorer, Opera, etc), which may interpret the html differently.

    Get on the computer in the library & look at your site; call up your uncle in Wyoming and have him check it out & report back if anything looks funky, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ivan, thanks for the kind comments, as far as the blank images which (hopefully is only when you click on the header, if not, please let me know) all I can say is I know, and I don't know.

    My idea was here are the categories-ie. photography, then under that would be the different series of works. Under the series I have an artists statement as well as a narrative description about that series of work. I thought about putting an image there, but what image? I don't feel I have that one image that would encapsulate all I have to say as a photographer, video maker, etc. and the same with the other headers. So I left it blank and figured you guys could help me fight this visual battle here! I think it should obviously be consistent under all the headers, but what? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Leslie, can't wait to see you in class tomorrow.

    Okay, so I just responded to you with this long explaination and lots of questions, and accidentally clicked the wrong button and poof it all went away. So, I am going to try again.

    Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, a couple of things. I chose that image as the header because I feel it conveys the idea of subtle layering and illustrated where my work is right now. The image I chose of myself, I wanted to be a studio shot. I think it is funny that you find this image "shy," because to me while it does in fact illustrate a guardedness about it, I think it also shows a directness, which I fell is me.

    As far as picky details, I do not feel they are picky at all very much needed and appreciated. However, the site is not done, in fact it is in it's first upload and very much a work in progress. The inconsistancies I think are because I started added text, and then decided for class I wanted to get all the visual stuff up there for us to all discuss before I kept going with all the specifics. The text was there roughly to show where I planned on placing it, how large it was going to be, center, flush right, flush left, etc. I figured once we talked about the site here, I could then go in and start all the finessing and polishings.

    The total running times are on there. if you click on "video" and the name of the video you want to see, the total running time and other information is listed there as well as a narrative description about the work. The music presented in the how to video was a free sound I downloaded off a free site years ago, not sure i can figure that one out. Should I list it as "stock sound?"

    The descriptions of all the photography and video works are there when you click on that particular series, just not sure what to do with the header pages. What do you think? Your expert opinion is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that your site appears clean and professional, although your previous site, I thought, had quite a bit of character. Maybe you could meet in the middle at some point? The site navigates well, although the drop down tabs issue got to me too when I tried using weebly. The ones on the bar could either be left blank or have information that could be missed because the drop down menus were so overpowering. Its great that you were able to include your videos, they give the whole site an edge.

    I agree with Leslie on the photo of yourself, it is revealing in that it takes away the anonymity of the website by giving you a face, but your demeanor is very withholding. I think maybe a less conspicuous image or a definitively stronger image of yourself could be worth trying out.

    In all, its an amazing start, and I know you'll keep adding to it and tweeking it!!

    ReplyDelete